Fremd hosts Band Benefit Concert

Dayita Mandal and Emma Hawley

The Fremd band program hosted its annual concert-and-dinner fundraiser, the Band Benefit Concert, on Tuesday, March 14. All four Fremd bands performed at the event, along with raffles and a catered dinner. Not only was the Band Benefit Concert a successful fundraiser for the band program, but the student musicians displayed their improved skills since the beginning of the school year.

The raffles were a big fundraiser at this event. There were a variety of themed raffle baskets, each containing several items to fit that theme. Prizes included Cubs tickets, restaurant gift cards, music store gift cards, flowers, chocolate, purses, and more. However, the highlight of the raffles was the 50/50 raffle pot—half of the money added went towards the band program, and the other half went to an audience member. At the night’s end, the raffle pot contained over $2500.

At both concerts, the dinner was catered by Tre Amici Pizza and involved a wide variety of food for the audience to enjoy. There were two different types of pasta, Italian beef sandwiches, pizza, and salad. Drinks and desserts were also served, including brownies and slices of cake. The dinner tickets were one of the main ways this fundraiser was a success; there were over 450 dinner orders and 90 dessert-only orders.

Matthew Moore, director of the Concert Band and Wind Symphony, discusses the importance of the Band Benefit Concert for the band program.

“The Band Benefit dinner, raffle, and gift baskets have existed for the past twenty years as a way to financially assist the Band program,” Moore said. “The Fremd Bands and Music Department are very well funded by District 211, but each year the program needs additional funds.”

The band program uses this money for guest conductors, clinicians, new music, instrument repairs, competitions, and extracurricular ensembles like the Viking Marching Band. The money that is gathered from the fundraiser will be used throughout the following year.

Apart from raising money, the Band Benefit Concert also showcased the talent and hard work of the four bands. The first concert featured the Concert Band and Wind Ensemble, and the two bands kicked off the night by playing pieces like “Kalos Eidos” by Carol Brittin Chambers and “Urban Dances” by Erik Morales. The concert was about 90 minutes long, and the bands played in a cafeteria packed with fellow students, family, and community members.

The second concert featured the Symphonic Winds and Wind Symphony. These two bands closed off the event and added to the wide variety of songs performed during the event, performing both fast-paced, exciting pieces and slower, lyrical compositions.

Moore reflects on how much the students have grown as musicians since August.

“We were very proud of their growth on the various concert selections from January through early March. It’s wonderful to see the students’ progress of individual and ensemble skills seen throughout the school year,” Moore said.

Overall, the Band Benefit Concert was not only a successful fundraiser for the band program, but also a fun night for the musicians and the audience.