English Student of the Month: November 2023

English Student of the Month: October 2023

December 15, 2023

English Student of the Month: August 2023

November 15, 2023

View All

Would you rather have school start later or end earlier?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fall Play Recap: Peter and the Starcatcher

On Friday, Oct. 13, Fremd Theater presented its annual play, “Peter and the Star Catcher,” in the Kolze Auditorium. There were three showing times, one on Friday and two on Saturday.

“Peter and the Star Catcher,” originally produced on Broadway, tells the story of a nameless orphan who becomes Peter Pan. The orphan and his two companions board the Neverland, a ship inbound for England. Little do they know, the ferocious pirate, Black Stache, has intercepted the ship.

For the past several weeks, Fremd Theatre students practiced their roles and worked on the scenes and costumes. Production director Robin Marrano talked about a special part of the production process that created a stunning scene.

“A highlight from the production process was working with the costume crew on creating the mermaid tails,” Marrano said. “We have a very low budget, and because we want to save money, obviously, so we took old dresses that we used in our musical Footloose last year, and we cut them up, and we transformed them into mermaid tails to save money, and that took several weeks, but it turned out amazingly.”

Sophomore Emerson Carter played the role of Boy. This role portrayed an orphaned young boy who was left to fend for himself against the Neverland crew. He credited his co-actors when asked about his favorite part in the production process. 

“It was so much fun,” Carter said. “It’s been such a great experience over the past two months, you get to work with this great group, just like top of the line this is amazing. I love it”.

Playing the role of Molly Aster, sophomore Madeline Ranieri felt that her role was one she’ll never forget.

“I’ve never loved a role more,” Ranieri said. “I was cast as it, and I was like, ‘It’s gonna be a big challenge,’ but I think I’ve learned a lot from her, and as a person, I think I’ve grown with her.”

The villain of this story, Black Stache, made it his mission to steal the queen’s treasure.

Senior Noah Gable played the role of Black Stache. When asked what it was like playing the villain, Gable thought very highly of his role. 

“Honestly, it was probably my favorite role so far,” Gable said. “I’ve always wanted to be Captain Hook.”

Even though this production is done, there is a lot to look forward to from the Fremd Theatre department.

“Our next auditions are Nov. 3, and those are going to be student-directed scenes,” Marrano said. “And then in the Spring, we’re doing Chicago the musical, the school edition, of course, because it’s a little risqué, and that’s going to be a sold out show, I’m sure of it. And next year, I know Miss Adams, the director of the play, is planning to do something with a little simpler set because this one was wild”.