English Student of the Month: November 2023

English Student of the Month: October 2023

December 15, 2023

English Student of the Month: August 2023

November 15, 2023

View All

Would you rather have school start later or end earlier?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Viking Veteran Day assembly reemerges

Every year, Fremd hosts a Veteran’s Day Celebration to commemorate the service of veterans all around the community. Last year, a panel was held where social studies classes were able to converse with veterans about their stories, advice, and experience from the military. 

This past Nov. 9, however, Fremd was able to hold its first full-school Veterans Day recognition assembly since the COVID-19 Pandemic. 

Hosted by the Fremd Social Studies Club, the assembly featured several student speakers, guest speakers, and each of the top sections of the Fremd Music Association.

Teacher and sponsor of Social Studies Club Courtney Billittier recounts a personal highlight from the experience.

“I’m always struck by how wonderful the music department and all of the different musical groups are,” Billittier said. “I’ve seen the assembly multiple times now and each time it feels just as powerful as the first because they’re students and their faculty directors are so talented.”

Fremd Choir, Fremd Orchestra, and Fremd Band conducted their respective groups through several fitting patriotic tunes, including “America the Beautiful” and “Taps”, then all came together to perform a rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner”. 

Senior Avya Saxena of the Social Studies Club  introduced the guest veterans as the band then performed the official songs of each branch of the military. 

The final guest speaker was former Navy member Nico Genet, Sr., who was introduced by his son and Sea Cadet Nico Genet, Jr. In closing, Genet, Sr. spoke about the acts of gratitude from citizens in everyday life that really make a difference to veterans all around the world. 

Billittier reflects on her reaction to the message from the speech. 

“His message is similar to ones that veterans have shared in previous years, that are: Acts of gratitude and thanks and appreciation to veterans don’t have to be very grand.” Billitier said.“It’s just thanking them for their contributions to our country. It’s a simple message, but I think that makes it more powerful.”