English Student of the Month: November 2023

English Student of the Month: October 2023

December 15, 2023

English Student of the Month: August 2023

November 15, 2023

View All

Would you rather have school start later or end earlier?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Gifts From the Shop to Gifts From the Heart

Graphic courtesy of Dev Sharma

Every year, Valentine’s Day celebrates love and romantic relationships. According to the Alliant Credit Union, about 53% of Americans celebrate Valentine’s Day yearly. And although the percentage is just over half, the amount of money people spend is shockingly high. The Alliant Credit Union predicted that in 2024, people would spend about $25.8 billion! So what can YOU do to show your love for someone while saving money?

Generally, people buy cards, chocolates, and roses for their significant other on Valentine’s Day. Making homemade cards is a way to save money, which some may argue is even more romantic than store-bought cards. Moreover, instead of going out to eat at a fancy restaurant, you could make their partner’s favorite dish, and the two could spend quality time together at home instead of going through the trouble of booking a reservation, driving through traffic, and then waiting a while for the dishes to come.

If someone chooses to celebrate Valentine’s Day, it’s essential to tell their significant other how much they mean to each other, not just by buying goodies and calling it a day. One can spend quality time together by watching TV, going on a walk, or just hanging out on the sofa and talking about how much they appreciate each other.

At schools, clubs such as the Student Council could organize an event for couples to spend Valentine’s Day together. For example, William Fremd High School hosted their Winter Dance the week of Valentine’s Day, giving couples a chance to dance with each other and spend fun time together. Student Council and similar clubs could hold games for couples such as “How well you know each other” or “20 questions”, etc.

Valentine’s Day isn’t just a day for couples and romance. Even if you aren’t in any romantic relationship, you could still spend quality time with loved ones in various ways. This romantic DDay doesn’t have to be expensive and luxurious like traditional Valentine’s Day. There are many alternatives for costly items, and the most important takeaway from this DDay is having fun with family and friends instead of stressing over expensive gifts.