TedEd takeover at Fremd

Nina Bell, Features Editor

From discussing artificial intelligence to high school stress, Fremd’s TedEd Club examines an array of topics that spark curiosity and passion. TedEd members not only have stimulating intellectual conversations at meetings, but they also prepare to deliver their own Ted Talks at the end of the year. While this is TedEd’s inaugural year, students participants are enthusiastic about their developing club.  

TedEd meets twice a month; the first meeting is designated for brainstorming and planning Ted Talks while the second meeting is centered around debating topics.

Social studies teacher and TedEd sponsor Lindsey Corcoran explains the main objectives of TedEd.

“Our biggest goal is to give students somewhere to talk about issues that they’re interested ineither that apply to their own personal lives or current eventsor various other things that they find of personal interest,” Corcoran said.

At the first bimonthly meeting students present various intriguing issues to the TedEd group and prepare for their own presentations. Members bounce ideas off each other to hear insight from their peers about potential topics for a Ted Talk. In addition, the club utilizes its first meetings to watch Ted Talks for inspiration.

Junior Dean Ganas, one of the creators of TedEd, explains how the club’s welcoming and noncompetitive atmosphere gives people the opportunity to express their opinion.  

“I originally started [TedEd] as a place for people to come and debate ideas,” Ganas said. “I made it as a place for people that don’t usually have a voice. It gives people a chance who don’t usually speak out a chance to come and share their ideas in a good environment.”

When club members present their talks at the end of the year, they will upload them to the official TedEd Youtube channel. Then, TedEd selects students nationally to speak at the Ted Talk headquarters in New York City. Fremd TedEd members hope that their Ted Talk will be chosen for this opportunity.

A key concept of TedEd is challenging students to debate different topics from various viewpoints. At the second meeting every month, TedEd members are randomly assigned to a team and side of a particular issue, ranging anywhere from Facebook Messenger for 6-year-olds to iPad restrictions at Fremd. Students then transition into a discussion to debrief their argument.

Corcoran comments on what sets TedEd apart at Fremd and why students should consider joining.

“[Fremd has] a lot of different activities that are similar to Ted but have more of a competitive nature, so this is noncompetitive,” Corcoran said. “For students who are looking to just discuss things but not feel like there is a winner and a loser at the end of that conversation, I think this is a good place for them to do that and interact with their peers who share similar passions as they do.”

TedEd meets the second and fourth Wednesday of every month at both 6:45 a.m. and after school at 3 p.m. Students can attend whichever meeting time works best for them in Room 240.