Winter Gala brings laid-back fun to Fremd

Graphic courtesy of Fremd Student Council

Jenny Li, Staff Writer

After a successful Winterfest last year, Fremd Student Council hosted another winter dance this year called Winter Gala.

On Saturday, Feb. 24, from 7:30 to 11 p.m., Fremd students attended the semi-formal dance in the school gymnasium that included raffles, karaoke, a new DJ and catered food. During the week leading up to the dance, many students displayed their school spirit each day. Students all over the school prepared for this winter dance by decorating the hallways of Fremd in brilliant, radiant colors.

This year’s Winter Gala theme was “Winter Wonderland,” differing from the previous year’s “Blackout” theme. Student Council planned various events, including a raffle that students could enter to win one of many gift baskets.

Senior Michelle Jiang sees Winter Gala as a great way to spend time with friends and temporarily escape from the stress of academics.

“What’s great about Winter Gala is that it’s similar to Homecoming, but it’s a little less formal and stress-free to plan for,” Jiang said. “I am so glad to have attended an event like this my senior year.”

Last year, Winterfest was organized by the company Boom Tour, but Student Council had decided to organize the event themselves this year due to the high costs of having a company organize the event.

Sophomore Sharon Wu thinks that the new Winter Gala is a better and cheaper alternative to the company-organized event, and has drawn students in to provide an unforgettable experience.  

“I think that it’s better if we don’t spend too much on these dances,” Wu said. “Regardless of having a company organize our dances or not, students find a way to have fun and Winter Gala was a blast.”