English Student of the Month: November 2023

English Student of the Month: October 2023

December 15, 2023

English Student of the Month: August 2023

November 15, 2023

View All

Would you rather have school start later or end earlier?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Seniors vs. freshmen: The game of high school

Graphic courtesy of Ali Ahunbaev

For many students, high school is a unique experience because it is an enormous leap from junior high. As the amount of homework drastically increases, students could stay up late many nights, and the pacing of each course varies greatly. However, high school also offers more freedom to the students and presents a variety of classes to take, exploding the interests of many students.

Freshman Mishka Ravula mentioned that high school is challenging because students are taught differently than in junior high, and high school is much more demanding.

“It’s definitely a new experience because the amount of homework differs, and so does the teaching style and freedom…I like it a lot more than middle school, although it can be stressful at times,” Ravula said.

Ravula described how high school offers a more “real-world” experience for students, as they will learn how college and work life can be. An example is the AP classes offered at high schools, which better prepare the students with a more rigid curriculum, strict grading, and a path to how self-paced learning operates.

High school can be an exhausting experience for many freshmen, as keeping up with the rigor of the classes can be tough at times. Moreover, those who participate in after-school activities such as clubs and sports must stay up late to complete their homework since they come home late from school.

Through her first two months of high school, Ravula learned the importance of time management between activities, completing homework, and studying for exams.

“As long as you don’t procrastinate, you should be fine,” Ravula said.

Senior Ava Richinger offers a contrasting view of high school. As a freshman, she had the opposite attitude towards high school compared to now.

“I was more nervous and scared as a freshman,” Richinger said.

However, she became confident and optimistic by being more involved in her school community through activities such as Operation Snowball and becoming a class intern.

“I grew to love the community, the teachers, and participating in school activities…I don’t want to leave,” Richinger said.

Richinger’s story emphasizes that high school can alter one’s studying habits and completely change one’s perspective of school as a community.

She ended the interview with a strong message stressing the importance of having a positive outlook on life.

“If you look for the negatives, you will have a negative experience, but if you look for the positives, you will have a positive experience.”