Fremd hosts Chicagoland Invitational Showcase

Cooper O’Kelly, Lead Sports Editor

Some of the best girls basketball teams and talents from across the Chicagoland area will be competing against each other in thirteen match-ups in the Chicagoland Invitational Showcase, with our Vikings taking on Lyons Township.

Being that this event is one of the biggest gatherings of prospects in the area, it draws the attention of many college basketball programs and scouts.

The last time Fremd played host of the showcase, coaches or representatives from 29 different colleges all over the country were in attendance. Opportunities like this don’t come all that often, and now many athletes will be able to showcase their talents as they try to propel their teams to victory.

The Vikings have one Division-1 commit in senior forward Brianna Wooldridge, who recently signed to Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

As for the rest of the roster, that’s full of talent with players ranging from freshmen to seniors, it will be an important experience and a way to get more exposure.

Not only does this serve as a way for already known players to boost college’s opinions on them, but it’s also just as much of a way for many to get their names out there for the very first time.

When it comes to the benefits of being a part of the showcase, sophomore forward Isabelle Zavilla references the past popularity of the event.

“I think it’s really something that I can use as an opportunity to show my skills,” Zavilla said. “Especially since the previous showcase that took place in 2019 had lots of colleges attend, it really showed me that I have a possibility of getting noticed.”

As for Fremd as a team, they’ve had a great deal of putting their name out there already. The Vikings have played six games so far on the season, including one huge win in which they took down the third ranked team in Indiana.

When asked about what sets this Fremd team apart, junior forward Maddy Fay pointed towards the roster.

“We have a really young team, and I think we’re going to keep improving throughout the season,” said Fay. “We have a bunch of athletic kids and lots of talent on the team.”

Fay, a member of the All-Tournament team in the York High School Thanksgiving tournament, alongside Woolridge and senior guards Jill Sheehan and Anna Schmitt all headline the team’s skilled group of upperclassmen.

This group coupled with their collection of talented underclassmen contributors like Zavilla, sophomore forward Brynn Eshoo, and freshman guard Ella Todd, Fremd leads a dangerous high-energy attack.

Coming off a winning stretch, Fremd moves on to their match-up with Lyons Township and the Chicagoland Invitational Showcase in excitement.

Many Viking players look to get noticed this coming weekend, as Fremd looks to be a powerful contender for the rest of the season.