Girls gymnastics strives to stick the landing at state

Logue graphic by James Feng

Mia Jayes, Staff Writer

Varsity girls gymnastics continued their winning ways, moving forward into sectionals this past week and coming in third out of six at Hoffman Estates High School on Wednesday, Jan. 31. The girls concluded their season with a record of 8-2, ending their campaign with high hopes for a strong outing at state.

Seniors Abby Moran and Melanie Ng will continue on to the State competition, both placing in the top five at sectionals. Moran excelled at the floor event, coming in third with a score of 9.2750 and will compete in Floor and Beam events. Ng came in fifth with a 9.3750, only 0.025 away from the fourth place spot in the Uneven bars. Ng has fortified her spot in the Mid-Suburban League and all around regional titles, and will continue to compete on the Uneven Bars and Beam.

During sectionals the girls accomplished their goal of doing well and coming in third, following Maine South and Prairie Ridge. Though this season has brought numerous successes, the girls will go into state searching for nothing but a win.

While some seniors will continue to the state competition, other gymnasts’ seasons have concluded and now will focus on their next year agendas.

Junior Gianna Christodoulopolous looks to continue the tradition of winning as she enters her senior year.

“I look forward to meeting the incoming freshman and encouraging them to be the best they can be,” Christodoulopolous said. “I really want to be a team leader for everyone and just have fun while trying our best.”

Throughout this season the girls focused primarily on becoming not only stronger individuals, but also a more unified team.

For sophomore Sam Shirmer, this season showed a lot of growth for the team.

“Hitting our high score of 145-875 at conference something we haven’t done in the past,” Shirmer said. “We got so close last season, but we finally reached our goal this season.”

The girls compete at Palatine High School on Feb. 16 and 17 in their final State competition.