Time’s Up and #MeToo take the stage at Golden Globes

Photo courtesy of debate.com

Photo courtesy of debate.com

Photo courtesy of debate.com

Safa Saied, Staff writer

Black is the new black. The 2018 Golden Globes following the release of numerous sexual allegations against individuals in the Hollywood industry, which led to the birth of the #MeToo movement among a diverse group of celebrities standing together at a time of devastating articles being released. Their fellow coworkers,the victims and the perpetrators, being affected. Numerous entertainment industry members chose to wear black at the Golden Globes to show their support to those who are suffering.

The Time’s Up, the movement against sexual harassment founded on January 1, 2018 by Hollywood celebrities in response to the Weinstein effect and #MeToo protest, took off on Sunday morning as soon as the red carpet opened, with actors and actresses such as Meryl Streep, Chris Sullivan, Daniel Kaluuya, Jessica Biel, Eva Longoria, Reese Witherspoon, Margot Robbie and many more all sporting elegant black tuxedos and dresses. As reported in a Chicago Tribune article, Alfred Moline told The Associated Press “I think it’s important to let women know that you listen to them and believe them.”

The internet brought criticism into the picture. Caitlin McBride, an online news reporter who voices her opinions on issues like sexual assault and picks apart celeb interviews, stated that “Actions speak louder than words and they sure as hell speak louder than a dress.” In her article, she states that men have been wearing black tuxedos for over 90 years, and that wearing black to the Golden Globes is  “like wearing a swimsuit on a beach.”

Family and consumer science teacher Courtney Young gave her opinion on fashion becoming the victim of this movement.

“Fashion is an expression of what you believe and it’s the best outlet,” Young said. “It’s important for people within the industry to support each other. Fashion is not less enjoyable but it does make people think about what they are wearing. Using an award show as a way to execute this fight for support is a media outlet that entails instant publicity and it aids in helping people to become more comfortable.”

The movement created harsh realities for people in all ages, with the news covering Larry Nassar’s trial, an American convicted serial child molester. He was the USA Gymnastics national doctor and an osteopathic physician at Michigan State University. His case being broadcast brought the topic in conversations to light for everyone, including parents and kids.

Junior Shreya Ghosh things that celebrities are using their platforms to make a difference.

“I think most are using their platform in a positive way,” Ghosh said. “If you are trying to start or support a movement, social media is a really beneficial outlet that can efficiently reach other countries and a lot of other people.”

Sophomore Ava Agoranos stated regarding celebs forcing their beliefs on their coworkers, her view

“I think it’s great to see people coming together to support a movement, but I don’t think it’s okay to force celebrities to dress a certain way,” Agoranos said. “There are more effective ways to support a movement other than what celebrities wear.”