Breaking down the NFL’s standout teams of 2017

Ryan Zheng, Staff Writer

This year’s NFL season has been a startling one, with many underdog teams outperforming top dogs like the Seattle Seahawks, the Dallas Cowboys, and others. As the halfway point has passed for the season, let’s take a peek at the squads who have stood out to date.

Best teams 

Philadelphia Eagles
The Eagles are one of the aforementioned underdog teams, to say the least. Coming off of a 7-9 record in the 2016 season, the Eagles have had a stunning start to the season and don’t seem to be slowing down. An 8-1 record is impossible to explain away, with the Eagles taking down many powerful teams such as the 6-3 Panthers. Philadelphia has also blown out formidable groups like the Broncos and the Giants. One of the main contributors to their success this season is quarterback Carson Wentz, a second year veteran after being drafted second overall in 2016. Wentz has already surpassed the Hall of Fame bound Tom Brady in touchdowns this season. Wentz’s success can also be attributed to offensive weapons LeGarrette Blount and wide receiver Alshon Jeffery. Together they create the winning formula that Eagles fans have been waiting for.

New England Patriots
Coming off of a Super Bowl win , Bill Belichick seemed ready to start the season off with a bang. Belichick has definitely achieved his goal. The Patriots, with a 7-2 record, do not seem to be slowing down anytime soon, as the team has raced to the top of the AFC East with the help of the talent-filled roster. Long time veterans like five-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady and two-time Super Bowl champion Rob Gronkowski have propelled the team to its 7 wins. Tom Brady also holds the record for most passing yards thrown this season so far.

Bears break!
At the beginning of the season, many Bears fans were hoping for the Monsters of the Midway to jump to a quick start to avoid any sluggishness resulting from last year’s dismal 3-13 record. Unfortunately, the Bears started out with two devastating losses that led to a disappointing record halfway through the season. Their 3-6 record may not seem like a playoff team’s record, but this season the Bears still have hope. If Chicago can start improving on their current offensive state, 31st in the league for passing yards and 28th in the league for points against, they may have a shot at making the playoffs.

Worst team
Cleveland Browns
With an 0-9 record, the Browns’ season has fallen apart once again. Cleveland have consistently been at the bottom of the league for years, and this season seems no different. They just cannot catch a break. The Browns are ranked 23rd in the league for passing yards and 17th in the league for rushing yards. Even worse, the Browns are also ranked 31st and 30th in points for and against the team. Sorry Browns fans, but this year isn’t your year (again).