Hey District 211, Thanksgiving Break should be longer

Matt Grabianski, Editor-in-Chief

The entire purpose of a break from school is to give everyone time to rest, but when a break ends up causing the exact opposite, things must change. Such a scenario happens every year when Thanksgiving rolls around, and the effects are currently being seen at Fremd. I know that many students are stressed, and the only way to change that in the future is for the administration to extend break from three days to five.

Often, when teachers only have a two-day week with their students before they go on break, many tend to cram as much material as they possibly can in the days leading up to it. Not only do kids then struggle with heavy workloads, but as those two days are entirely filled with tests, they struggle with finding enough time to study as well. As a result, students spend their final days before break with atypically high stress levels.

It’s understandable that students can potentially recover from a stressful period over the course of the five-day weekend, but a plethora of projects, essays, and holiday preparations make doing so difficult. In my experience, teachers almost always assign some sort of work over break even if they gave tests immediately before. Many classes also involve projects due near the end of the semester, and, as Thanksgiving Break is the final collection of days off, kids are motivated to try and complete these projects then as well.

Ultimately, students experience skyrocketing stress levels approaching Thanksgiving Break, and then spend most of their break time working on school anyway.

Maybe it’s impossible to completely eradicate these issues, but expanding break to five days instead of three, giving everyone an entire week off, would undoubtedly alleviate them.

Giving teachers one final five-day week spreads the distribution of tests leading up to break, but, more importantly, it results in less stress-filled days for kids. Removing those two days lets students begin to relax immediately on Friday afternoon, rather than turning the weekend into a study-packed nightmare.

Removing even just two days of school will obviously result in an uproar from parents and administration, complaining about “class time” and such, but there are currently multiple days when school is off for no significant reason. For example, students get two days off of school for Columbus Day, a holiday currently being phased out of the country (because Columbus was somewhat of a jerk, but that’s a different argument). That’s two days right there, but even if you want to keep Columbus’s memory alive, simply move the Institute Day, and you’re halfway done.

The reality is that extending Thanksgiving Break to a full week is not only feasible, but it’s healthier for students. As we experience yet another terribly stressful week before break, imagine if freedom began on a Friday, and keep in mind that the administration has the power to make that a reality.