Fremd’s haunted halls host annual Halloween Fest celebration

Jenny Li, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again where candy, caramel apples, costumes, pumpkins, and trick-or-treating are finally back in season. On Oct. 25, Fremd High School hosted the annual Halloween Fest from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Every year, this event allows children 12 and under to engage in Halloween-based activities led by Fremd High School clubs and to trick-or-treat indoors in a kid-friendly environment.

Sophomore and debate club member Sharon Wu feels that Halloween Fest is a good alternative to trick-or-treating outside.

“Almost every Halloween so far the temperatures outside have been freezing cold,” Wu said. “Luckily, instead of trick-or-treating outside, the children can have fun in the warm indoors and at the same time, trick-or-treat.”

Around the school, classrooms were decorated in themes that varied from fun to haunted, and a variety of games were provided in each classroom such as basketball, coloring activities in the cafeteria, bozo buckets, and many more games that allowed children to earn sweets. In addition, concessions were sold in the cafeteria. Each club was in charge of a particular classroom and provided unique, enjoyable activities. Some of these activities included face painting, a haunted maze, and a photo booth.

Junior Hannah Chen, a member of Chinese Club enjoyed watching all the kids who arrived at the event.

“I really loved seeing all these cute little kids coming in, having so much fun and being able to experience the joy on their faces,” Chen said.

One of the most memorable parts of this annual event is not only seeing kids in the community dress up in their costumes, but it is also the interaction between the youth and high school students and the cherishable memories one can take from it.

In lieu of admission fees, Fremd asks for donations of canned goods for the Palatine Township Food Pantry such as canned beans and fruits, and prepared foods like soups. The Fremd Halloween Fest provides an opportunity for youth to interact with high school students by celebrating the festivities of Halloween while working to give back to the community at the same time.