Vikings football blown out in homecoming game against Evanston

Photo courtesy of: Stephanie O’Mara

Nikhil Sriram, Sports Editor

Due to costly mistakes and lapses in focus on both sides of the ball, the boys football team was dominated in a 32-7 loss against Evanston in the annual homecoming game on Sept. 15. Fremd could not seem to get any offense going from kickoff, and the Wildkits of Evanston took advantage by exposing major holes in the Vikings defense.

Sophomore quarterback Andrew Saxe deconstructs the team’s overall performance.

“We went out there and fought hard, but there were too many breakdowns for us to come out with the win,” Saxe said.

The first quarter was fairly even, as both team’s first possessions turned up empty until Evanston eventually got the first points on the board with a 37-yard field goal from Charlie Lindland on their second push down the field. This was where the trouble started for the Vikings. A fumble on the kickoff gave Evanston prime field position going into the 2nd quarter. Wildkits quarterback Drew Dawkins eventually scored, and the team converted the extra point making it 10-0 with another 41 minutes to go in the game.

Fremd head coach Lou Sponsel comments on how early mistakes on defense proved to be catastrophic for the team the rest of the game.

“We shot ourselves in the foot early with two special teams fumbles in the first quarter, and we never seemed to recover from them,” Sponsel said.

After the first touchdown, Evanston’s onslaught did not end, adding one more touchdown along with another field goal to make the game 19-0 at the end of the first half.

The Vikings’ woes on offense and defense did not end in the second half as Evanston continued to rack up points while Fremd repeatedly punted it away. Evanston’s run and pass game coupled with Fremd’s lackluster defense led to two more touchdowns for the Wildkits making it 32-0. Just as the Vikings began to march down the field, Saxe’s pass was picked off at Evanston’s own 30-yard line.

Evanston’s offensive prowess began to mellow down in the fourth quarter. Fremd was able to add a touchdown late in the game on a 10-yard run from Saxe, and senior kicker Matt Mottonen added on the extra point. Ultimately, the game ended 32-7, a disappointing result for an already struggling Fremd football team.

The Vikings ended the game with 142 rushing yards, and Saxe was 4-17 for 47 yards passing along with two interceptions. Comparatively, for the Wildkits, Dawkins was 11-14 for 179 yards with a pair of touchdown passes.

Saxe looks to the future on how he can improve his play to benefit the team.

“I need to make sure the offense runs smoother and that we all stay focused on doing our individual job, and if that happens I feel we have a great chance to improve upon our performance,” Saxe said.

The team is still searching for their first win after losing to Evanston and then Barrington the following week. The Viking’s record is now 0-5, and they have four games remaining in their season. The team plays their next game at Conant on Thursday, Sept. 28 at 6:00 P.M.