Boys swimming and diving demolishes cross town rival Palatine

Mia Jayes, Staff Sports Writer

Boys swimming and diving continued their winning streak with a score of 104-74 against Palatine on Dec. 8. They leave the swimming record now at 3-0.

Throughout the entire meet Fremd had control of the lead. They won the majority of the races with flying colors. Winning relays included seniors Nicholas Seroni, Nicholas Nevins, Arnas Maciunas and junior Danny Konishi in the 200 free relay ending with the time of 1:30:12. They wrapped up the victorious meet with a 400 free relay consisting of Nevins, Seroni, Tony Lee and Konishi with the time of 3:20:18.

Sophomore diver Christian Zukowski expressed his feelings on the team’s tremendous support.

“As a team we always cheer each other on,” Zukowski said. “During and before meets, it’s all about motivation.”

Head coach Kristen Newby reveals the ultimate idea of what this meet means to the swimmers.

“This is not the end goal,” Newby said. “But a stepping point to them getting where they want to be at the end of the year.”

The diving team’s record is currently 2-0-1, with a tie against Lake Forest, and a win against Palatine and Rolling Meadows.

Senior Zachary Mega leading the diving team to triumph with a score of 242.50.

Newby says that figuring out the lineups are the most difficult and rewarding process of the meets.

“We have a team with a lot of experience,” Newby said. “So it’s hard figuring out exactly where to put each kid to make the most successful lineup.”

Sophomore swimmer Paul Ponte sees contributions up and down the roster.

“We have a record number of freshman joining the program and a very strong senior class,” Ponte said. “Our junior and sophomore classes are loaded with talent as well.”