President Trump: How the president-elect is both inspiring and dividing the nation

Trump's presidency has Americans both hopeful and worried for the next four years. (Graphic by Hannah Horton)

Nabeela Syed and Eric Wong

Donald Trump concluded his tumultuous presidential campaign by narrowly ascending to victory in the 2016 presidential election. This electoral vote victory has left many wondering  which direction his presidency will take the country.

For some, Trump’s election was a joyous moment. In a rally held in a New York Hilton hotel ballroom, Trump supporters grew more and more ecstatic on election night as Trump surged forward in the polls in battleground states. Once Trump was announced to be the next Commander-in-Chief, celebrations broke out as Trump’s campaign finally ended in victory.

Many who were displeased with Trump’s election took to the streets to voice their anger and frustration following the election results. Demonstrators in major cities such as Chicago, Oakland and New York marched on public property, chanting “not my president.” Similar to how  controversial this past election was, these protests have also stirred up controversy.

Violence has been increasing at these protests. Vandalism, attacks on Trump supporters as well as those who oppose Trump’s presidency, and fires have been reported. In Portland, demonstrators smashed shop windows and damaged public property, resulting in the police arresting many. Peaceful protests have also been conducted in many cities, claiming their purpose is primarily for solidarity.

With the reports of violence surrounding the protests, junior Alex Grundman believes they’ve become unproductive and unnecessary.

“The protests won’t change anything. It just shows hypocrisy because they are violent protests. In some cases some people are taking it too far and hurting Trump supporters,” Grundman said. “Hillary supporters supported peaceful protests, that’s exactly what they preached and now they’re doing the opposite.”

In addition to the demonstrations, many have been reporting a rash of verbal and physical altercations throughout the country. Trump’s policies throughout his campaign have targeted many groups such as Muslims, the LGBTQ community, as well as undocumented immigrants.

The LGBTQ community has recently just been granted the right to marriage in 2015 under the Obama Administration, but with a Vice President strongly opposing this community, they feel as if their social rights are in jeopardy. Concerns by Muslim Americans have been voiced concerning the “Muslim Ban” and Latinos have faced backlash from the results of the election.

Many instances of assault and harassments against these groups have been reported. Women have had their hijab ripped off, Latinos have been the victims of verbal attacks, and concern shook the LGBTQ community as individuals in that community have been assaulted.

The past eight years have been shaped with progressive policies under President Obama, but freshman Sanjana Gorre is worried that this recent election is going to result in America regressing.

“Many minorities are being affected and it’s actually really disappointing that they’re being discriminated against.” Gorre said. “These minorities were already discriminated against in the past, but the campaign has made a bigger impact on their lives. This just shows that he shouldn’t have won the election.”

Although Trump fueled his campaign with numerous promises, many are also wondering whether Trump will actually follow through. Some of Trump’s policies, such as building a large wall on the Southern U.S. border, restricting immigration from terror-prone countries and also removing gun-free zones, including schools, would mean that he would need to repeal many existing acts or raise money the government does not have.

To focus the results of the election back on his policies and his plan to “Make America Great Again,” Trump brought attention back to his 100-day plan. With goals to limit lobbyist influence over the government, focus more on America’s infrastructure as opposed to climate change programs, and repeal and replace Obamacare, Trump plans to take action quickly.

Rather than being worried about Trump’s future actions, senior Mingda Zhang is more concerned about his potential lack of action when it comes to the environment.

“I’m most afraid of his environmental policy especially considering his transition team for the EPA is led by a climate change denier,” Zhang said. “It’s scary to think that our most influential environmental agency is going to be led by someone who doesn’t believe in basic science.”

Despite all these plans, there has been speculation over whether or not Trump will stick with Republican principles during his presidency. Social studies teacher Jacqueline Dickens explains basic Republican ideologies and analyzes if the 100-day plan would contribute to supporting them.

“In general, the Republicans are going to go for a smaller government so in the 100-day plan, Trump plans to get rid of two regulations for every one regulation that he adds which leads me to believe that if you have less regulations, you have a smaller government,” Dickens said. “But on the other hand, he also wants the immediate deportation of undocumented immigrants which would also show a potential increase in government employees. So we will possibly see a decrease in the size of government in some areas, but an increase in others”