Looking back at the memorable moments of “Harry Potter”

Nick Mayer, Staff Writer

Harry Potter is a saga that has spanned for nearly fifteen years. The series has had many emotional ups and downs, but left dedicated fans happy in the end. Author J.K. Rowling left her fans heartbroken in 2007 with the release of the seventh and final book. However, fans still had the movie adaptations to look forward to until the last film in the series was released in 2010. Now, in 2016, J.K. Rowling and director David Yates are coming back with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them which releases Nov. 18. The new movie is a prequel to the Harry Potter set of stories, but there are sure to be many references to Harry’s tales. There are many memorable moments in the movies, and they may have some recurring references in the new movie, so it is important to remember major moments in the plot.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

The movie that started it all, from the opening scenes of Harry as a baby to the battle with a troll in the bathroom, this movie is the reason why we have more. Some of the most memorable scenes in this movie include young wizards learning to use magic for the first time and the first interactions between life long friends. It portrays strong protagonists and has great messages about friendship that are reoccurring throughout the series.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

With flying cars, giant spiders, and a possessed tree, this is one of the best Harry Potter movies. Memorable characters, including Moaning Myrtle, a ghost that haunts the girls’ bathroom, and Dobby the house elf, a crowd favorite, are the icing on the cake of one of the best mysteries at the magical school of Hogwarts. Some of the best scenes came from the Chamber of Secrets itself, with and encounter between Harry and Tom Riddle, who later reveals himself as Lord Voldemort, the dark wizard who killed Harry’s parents years ago, and a basilisk.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

The third installment in the series is one of the less memorable ones, but still has its moments, mostly in plot. Harry is now in his third year and there is fear of an escaped prisoner and his reign of terror on Hogwarts. This movie contains some of the first scenes with dementors, and another encounter with the Weeping Willow, the giant tree from “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” This movie also first introduces Sirius Black, a major character in the other movies as well as other key players in the fight against Voldemort. The plot is further developed with the introduction of Hogsmeade, a magical village with stores and taverns.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

After the slower pacing of the third movie, the plot comes back with some more action. The Goblet of Fire is a pit of flames that students can place their name into, and if selected they can participate in a series of challenges. The Goblet is restricted to older students, due to the dangerous challenges, but somehow Harry’s name is selected, and due to the magical background there is no way to select another student. Highlights of the the challenges include battling dragons, diving into a lake, and a giant and deadly maze. The maze ends with one of the first and most impressive battles between Voldemort and Harry which causes the tragic death of Cedric Diggory.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

After a mishap involving magic, Harry gets expelled but is later let back into Hogwarts. Afterwards he learns about the Order of the Phoenix, a group lead by Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts, Sirius Black, and the Weasley family. Their sole purpose is to fight against Voldemort and his loyal allies, the Death Eaters. Harry joins into the ranks and starts up a student group that is dedicated to the Order of the Phoenix, and the movie includes another battle with Voldemort, this time in the Ministry of Magic.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

The introduction of horcruxes is the main focus of this movie, as well as diving deeper into the past of Voldemort. Harry and Dumbledore spend time together using a sink-like object, called a Pensieve. They discover that Voldemort created several horcruxes in the past, by splitting up his soul and by using these he is safe from death until they are all destroyed. With this information Harry and Dumbledore look into destroying these horcruxes, the first was the journal belonging to Tom Riddle from “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” Harry begins hunting them down, and this becomes his new focus. On the hunt for a locket things turn bad as Draco Malfoy and some Death Eaters approach and another major battle occurs, leaving fans heartbroken.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The epic two-part film was the end of the saga’s film adaptations. With most of the horcruxes remaining Harry and his friends begin a widespread hunt for them as well as the items needed to destroy them. While all of this is going on Voldemort launches attacks against Hogwarts, ending in a final battle to end it all between Harry and Voldemort. This movie ties up the remaining loose ends, including true alliances, and gives the audience a sense of hope for the future with its epilogue.