Waiting to see what the Trump presidency will hold

Trump's shocking election victory leaves much uncertainty in the coming months

Photo courtesy of Damon Winter from the New York Times

Grace Downing, Forum Editor

Since this campaign began, I have never been a fan of Donald Trump. From his plans to build a wall on the Mexican border, to his lewd comments about women, to his outright accusations that what upholds the very foundation of our democracy might be rigged, I have not once been in support of him.

When Trump first announced that he would be running for president, I remember shrugging that off and thinking that there was no way he would even make it past the primaries, let alone beat Hillary Clinton in an extremely stressful and emotional race to become the next leader of our country.

For over a year, I have endured each and every breaking news story about the race to the White House; each and every degrading comment Trump made about women or immigrants or both; each and every time he said something that made me wonder just how anyone could imagine him sitting in the Oval Office.

I remember thinking that it would all be over soon; when election day finally came upon us, I would no longer have to endure the sight of Trump’s face on my television every single day; it would be close, but that Hillary would come out on top.

And then, Republican Presidential Candidate Donald Trump became President-elect Donald Trump.

The future that I had never let myself think was even possible was now laughing in my face. This realization was heartbreaking and surreal, and in the first few days after the election, I honestly didn’t even know how to process the results (partially because I was still marveling at the fact that the Cubs had won the World Series).

But after having a week of reflection on the past, and contemplating all the things that could have been handled differently, I think that it’s time to look to the future. Despite the protests that have broken out against these results, and despite the thousands across the country chanting “Not my president,” as disappointed as I am by this outcome, we have to accept the person who millions in America voted for as our next president.

No matter how much I disagree with many of the things he has said and done throughout the course of his campaign, Trump is going to lead this country, and that’s not going to change. So, I think we have to at least give him the chance to do it well.

In her concession speech, Hillary Clinton called to her supporters to take similar steps in the coming months.

“We have seen that our nation is more deeply divided than we thought. But I still believe in America, and I always will,” Clinton said. “And if you do, then we must accept this result and then look to the future. Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead.” Clinton also added that, “I still believe, as deeply as I ever have, that if we stand together and work together, with respect for our differences, strength in our convictions, and love for this nation, our best days are still ahead of us.”

In his victory speech, Donald Trump promised to lead this country with each and every citizen in mind.

“I pledge to every citizen of our land, that I will be president for all Americans,” Trump said. “And this is so important to me. For those who have chosen not to support me in the past – of which there were a few people – I am reaching out to you for your guidance and your help so that we can work together and unify our great country.”

In each of their post-election speeches, Trump and Clinton both acknowledged the depth of the political divide in the United States rights now, and they both said that they seek to overcome those differences in order to be able to work together toward a better American future.

In the end, no matter what Trump said and did throughout his campaign, we really don’t know for sure what his presidency holds, or which promises he will be able to make a reality. All we can hope for is the best, and for now, all we can really do and is wait and see. Because as Trump himself stated, “It’s been what they call a historic event, but to be really historic, we have to do a great job.”

And in the upcoming months and years, that’s exactly what I’ll be waiting to see.