Coding Club develops next generation of programmers

Image courtesy of Hack Club

Keon Sung, Contributing Writer

With the onset of a new school year just beginning to transition into normalcy, one of Fremd’s latest clubs, Coding Club, kicked off its new year by hosting its first official meeting just last Monday. Sponsored by a non-profit organization called Hack Club, Coding Club focuses on teaching new programmers the basics while giving more experienced students the opportunity to work on projects of their own or on ones provided.

Despite its relatively new stature within the school, the club was able to attract nearly 30 students during its first meeting.  

Andy Popovich, a sophomore who was part of this club last year when it was first created, expresses his thoughts on the differences between then and now.

“There were a lot less people then; I think it’s good that there is more people now because it give programmers an opportunity to work together,” Popovich said. “I have always had an interest in programming, so when I found out about this club, I knew I had to join it.”

However, unlike Andy, many of its members are new, and many of the them already have a history with programming, which is background that is becoming more and more prevalent as the world becomes more and more integrated with technology.

The founder of Coding club, Sean Kim, was inspired to create this club because there wasn’t a space in school for him and many others to pursue this rising trend outside of the classroom.

“I am very passionate about programming and I wanted [a club] throughout high school,” Kim said. “ But when I realized there was not a club available to everyone, I decided to make one myself.”

The club’s sponsor, computer science teacher Mr. Nichols, believes that this club will have a positive impact on the Fremd student body.

“Coding Club gives them a chance to learn things about computer programming that they wouldn’t learn in a classroom,” Nichols said. 

As for the future of the club, Sean Kim plans to present the club’s collective projects school-wide, which he hopes will encourage other students with interests in programming to come and join them on Monday in room 223 from 3 p.m.-5:25pm.

“I want people to become more involved in programming because that is where the future is heading,” Kim said. “I hope that people will come and learn that programming is fun.”