Apple showcases iPhone 6S and 6S Plus

Photo courtesy of the Wall Street Journal

Arim Lee, Staff Writer

Apple unveiled the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus on Sept. 9 at San Francisco’s Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. Apple CEO Tim Cook introduced the new products as the most advanced iPhones ever, transforming the concept of Multi-Touch interface technology. The Guardian reports that advance orders for the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus are about to exceed the 10 million units of pre-ordered iPhones recorded in the first weekend of last year.

The prices will remain the same as last year’s iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: $199 for the 16GB model, $299 for the 64GB model, and $399 for the 128GB model with a two-year contract. Apple’s newest products work through iOS 9, the latest update for Apple products. Both models will be upgraded versions of the original iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus with new features, larger storage space, and a rose gold option along with the standard gold, space grey and silver.

The most significant added feature of the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus is the 3D touch. This feature will allow the phone to sense the amount of pressure a person exerts on the screen. WIth a light touch, the user can “peek” into an email, website, or app without the hassle of opening many apps to find basic information. Additionally, pressing harder can delve deeper into apps to display further information to add more functionality.

Along with the 3D Touch, the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus will be upgraded with Live Photos, a new way to capture photos in motion. Any photo that is taken with the 12 Megapixel iSight camera on the iPhone will instantly take multiple photos and animate them into a short GIF-like moment. The iSight camera is 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution with Retina flash and 4K video quality.

Freshman Ayushi Balan, however, does not think the new features on the upcoming iPhone will be enough to convince her to buy the iPhone 6S.

“If the new additions were really useful, for me and the price is good, then I would think about it but I’m good with my phone right now,” Balan said. “Yes, the phones are getting better but I feel like they are just changing for the aesthetic and missing some basic fundamental parts of a regular phone.”

Another feature on the iPhone 6S is Quick Action: this lets someone press on the app icon to open a list of options for the user to quickly complete a task with that app. Also, there is the A9 chip that makes the iPhone run 70% more efficiently and boosts graphics by 90%. To accommodate the chip’s advanced technology, Apple updated the 4G and Wi-Fi with LTE Advanced to double the speed on or off Wi-Fi.

Junior Dalton Stegich supports the latest advancements coming up in the new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

“I think the new innovative changes on the phone will make everyone really excited about it and go buy it when it comes out,” Stegich said.

Pre-orders for the iPhone 6S or iPhone 6S Plus started Sept. 12, with an official release date on Sept. 25. Other Apple products that will be coming out later in the year include the latest Apple TV with TVOS update in October and the iPencil, partnered with the iPad Pro to utilize its advanced software, in November.