New technological advancements to reduce human error

Pavel Warzecha, Staff Writer

Technology has been evolving exponentially in recent times. Just twenty years ago, smart phones were nonexistent and computers were far less accessible. However, as technological developments continue, a new field is opening for the development of self-operating vehicles.

In December of 2014, Google released a prototype of the first ever driverless car. The car is expected to become available to the public between 2017 and 2020, and it will be the first of its kind.

Other companies have also made it a goal to create similar vehicles. In 2015 Chevrolet, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz all announced that they are also in the planning stages of creating a driverless car. While Google may be the closest to creating the self-driving cars, it is not the only company working to create such a vehicle.

Google is not solely focusing on cars, as they are also planning to create the world’s self-flying plane. While no official prototype has been released, the company confirmed that it has been in the process of creating the aircraft for the past two and a half years. While the first of these planes likely won’t appear to the public for over a decade, it is sure to revolutionize the flying industry.

Applied tech teacher Paul Hardy shares his thoughts regarding the use of these vehicles.

“I believe that I would use the technology if it was proven reliable,” Hardy said. “There are always situations where you might not want or be able to drive yourself to a specific location.  This would be a great option.”

While there is no question that these innovations from Google are huge technological advancements, the idea of vehicles that operate themselves has sparked controversy. Many find the lack of human control behind the cars’ and planes’ movements could lead to very dangerous malfunctions.

Sophomore Paul Syzdek is skeptical of the self-flying plane from Google.

“I wouldn’t fly in a plane with no pilot,” Syzdek said. “If something went wrong on this plane, disaster would be certain and nobody could do anything about it.”

The fear of technological malfunctions is the biggest setback in the process of creating these self-operating vehicles. In order for the cars to become available to the public, there must be a way to ensure the safety of the travelers of the vehicles.

However, if the technology issues are resolved, self-flying planes and driverless cars could potentially eliminate human error from the process of traveling. Many feel that the amount of crashes and accidents could be drastically reduced by the vehicles.

Junior Matt Lebiedzinski sees the potentials and hazards of self-operating automobiles and aircrafts.

“The exciting idea of driverless cars and self-flying planes could lead to some dangers,” Lebiedzinski said. “But the fact that they are already in the process of being created shows how far the world has come technologically.”