Elon Musk’s revolutionary Hyperloop transportation system

Musk's Hyperloop system could travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco in a small matter of time. (Internet Photo)

Stephanie Hu, Contributing Writer

Traveling on land at supersonic speeds may soon become an attainable reality with the Hyperloop project, which is conceived as a fifth mode of transportation that eliminates friction and air resistance to incorporate a form of high-speed tube travel and mark a revolutionary advancement in transport technology. With the possibility of reaching up to 800 mph, it could rival the fastest trains and even commercial aircraft, potentially cutting travel time in half.

Multi-billion dollar entrepreneur Elon Musk, who also founded SpaceX, the first private company to launch a rocket in space, first outlined the concept in August 2013 and has recently been working to accelerate the project. Over a hundred engineers across the country have united in planning the Hyperloop’s design and its possible routes. Land has been secured in California for its first model test track, which may launch in as early as one year.

Freshman Bissmun Gill remains optimistic about the Hyperloop’s effects and would be willing to board it as a new form of transportation, despite possible instabilities.

“I would use the Hyperloop,” Gill said. “I think it would make for a quicker and easier method of travel. At the moment, it does sound a little bit unsafe, but so did the first airplane.”

Powered by solar energy, the envisioned system is designed to function through magnetic levitation and vacuum tunnels that would eliminate the natural air resistance that current high-speed vehicles face. Capsules to hold its passengers are designed to reduce turbulence and further maximize speed.

Science teacher Ryan Moreau believes that the Hyperloop could produce a revolutionary breakthrough in transportation.

“I would argue that technology is advancing too slowly,” Moreau said. “Autonomous driving seems to be one of the few major leaps made in recent history, so I am excited to hear about any idea that could take us to that next level.”

While the project still requires years of progress and testing as well as billions of dollars before the goals of it becoming available for common use is realized, Moreau thinks that the efforts could result in immense benefits.

“While the initial expenditure on infrastructure would be massive, given the right funding and time, it could revolutionize personal transport,” Moreau said. “We could see fewer cars, less emissions, and less time spent in transportation.”

Gill also welcomes the current path of expanding transport systems, as well as any further technological developments within the future.

“Technology can never advance too rapidly, whether it be traveling tech or computers,” Gill said.