Staying home for spring break: Ideas for a fun time at home

Dominique Pasek, Contributing Writer

As temperatures rise and snow melts, students at Fremd anxiously await their spring break getaways. However, not everyone is going out of state- or even out of town.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be a boring week, as there are plenty of attractions nearby that may not be the first thing that comes to mind. For example, the Rolling Meadows Sports Complex is a close and affordable place to have fun on the ice. Taking a few friends makes skating and sliding all the more enjoyable. Entrance costs $5 for residents and $7 for non residents, and rental skates are available for $2. Public skate times are at 12:45-2:10 p.m. and 6:00-8:00 p.m. through the whole week starting Monday, March 23 excluding Friday 27, which has a night skate at 7:30-9:00 p.m. Saturdays are 2:00-3:30 p.m. and Sundays 2:30-4:00 p.m.

Discovering new artists and great concerts is easy when it’s as close as Palatine. Durty Nellie’s has several “all ages” shows during spring break. Performances range from rock shows to rappers, and many genres in between for many music lovers. While not all shows permit anyone under the age of 21, there are a few popular groups that high schoolers can still go see. Metal band The Ghost Inside is playing March 21, while pop punk band New Found Glory is playing on Sunday March 22. Balance and Composure opens for Circa Survive on March 29.

The Streets of Woodfield have plenty of popular storefronts, but right next to these is a hidden gem, the Laugh Out Loud Improv Theater. These comedic performances are ideal for outings with friends and family. Every show is improvised, so the audience never knows what to expect, and some shows tend to be interactive, which also adds to the hilarity.

The Friday and Saturday shows are at 7:30 p.m. and all ages are admitted for $12.

Xtreme Trampolines, located in Buffalo Grove, is also a fun way to get exercise. The building has a large area filled with small trampolines, a pit full of foam blocks to flip into, and even an ongoing game of dodgeball. The first hour is $11, and the following are $6. Anyone under the age of 18 needs a parent to sign a waiver to get in.

Lazer Quest in Arlington Heights is a well known spot to have a blast. Intense and a new experience every game, this facility offers good times to thrill-seeking students.Taggers run around a course and shoot laser beams at other players, each with their own chosen username. One game costs $9 and lasts 30 minutes.

Pinstripes Bistro has multiple locations in Illinois, including South Barrington and Chicago. The prices are a little higher than the suburb restaurants,but not unreasonable. Along with a wide array of dishes and desserts, Pinstripes also features their own bocce and bowling alley. Each game is $5 per person, except 5 p.m. to closing time.

While there are plenty of good memories to be had at these facilities, many more can be found in the area. While a trip to the beach or an exotic location might seem fun, there is still plenty of enjoyment to be had in the neighborhoods surrounding Fremd.