Girls basketball dominates to start the season

Scott Lenz, Sports Editor

After reaching the 4A Sectional Finals last year, the varsity girls basketball has started their campaign to improve upon that success. To start this season, the Vikings have dominated their way to a 3-0 record, outscoring their opponents by an average of 49 points per game.

Senior guard Haley Gorecki leads the Vikes with 56 points in the first three games of the Turkey Thriller Tournament including a season high 25 points in a win over Cary-Grove. Head coach Dave Yates contributes part of the team’s early success to their previous varsity experience.

“We have a lot of kids back, we only lost two starters off last year’s team and return six of our top eight players,” Yates said. “I think that the leaders are already there; they were there last year.”

The Vikings look to build upon their undefeated start as they continue their season. Junior guard Erin Lenahan highlights how getting off to a good start benefits the team’s mentality going forward.

“It sets a standard for us,” Lenahan said. “We have to keep our focus and keep on working towards our goal. It makes us excited for the future.”

Although Fremd has played well during their first three games, including an 85-8 win over Johnsburg, Yates emphasizes that they need to keep improving in order to be successful.

“Our mantra has been get better every day and every game, improve upon what you did previously,” Yates said.  “I think if we do that we’re going to be good.”

The team is looking to improve its on-the-court chemistry. Yates describes how they are working on advancing their level of teamwork.

“We’ve got this core that played together a lot last year, but now we have some sophomores playing and some juniors who weren’t on the team last year,” Yates said. “They’re starting to get used to each other.”

With talent at every position, the Vikings are able to spread the ball around and have many different players contribute. In their first game against Elk Grove, 13 players scored on their way to a commanding 65-22 victory. Lenahan outlines how the team’s all-around high skill level will benefit them in games against tough opponents.

“There are other good teams that we have to compete against so it’ll be nice having a deep bench,” Lenahan said. “That way everyone can help out in our winning efforts.”

The successful start to the season is a good base upon which Fremd can continue to build their ambitions. With many challenges lying on the road ahead for the Vikings, Yates wants to keep his team focused on each game as it approaches.

“Our goal is to get better every day. Every year our goal is to win the MSL and the goal of every team is to make it to state,” Yates said. “Those goals haven’t changed any year we’ve been together, but the way we accomplish that is that day to day we keep improving.”

The Vikes will take on Lake Zurich at Lake Zurich High School on Nov. 25.