Student Council hosts annual Halloween Fest

Jessica Kim, Staff Writer

Student Council hosted Halloween Fest at Fremd yesterday, inviting local children to trick-or-treat and play games. Various other clubs and sports teams helped monitor games and decorate rooms.

The festival allows children to trick-or-treat and wear costumes without the concerns for weather conditions or safety. It provides activities suited for different ages,from haunted mazes to face painting, and many faculty members brought their own kids to the event.

In the 1990s, former assistant principal Marina Scott and other faculty members planned the first Halloween Fest for the Palatine community. Fremd has been actively welcoming local trick-or-treaters since then. Currently, other schools celebrate Halloween with similar events, like Palatine High School’s Trick-or-Treat Festival and Hoffman Estates High School’s Community Halloween Fest.

Principal Kurt Tenopir believes that the annual event is a convenient and safe way for local children to celebrate Halloween with their families.

“Parents with younger kids often worry about the safety of trick-or-treating, and Halloween Fest provides an avenue to safely participate in the tradition,” Tenopir said.

Student Council determined what rooms each participating club or sport would host and spread out the rooms to prevent long lines and hallway jams. They were also in charge of setting up games, distributing candy to each room and answering visitors’ questions.

Other student organizations passed out candy to the children and decorated their assigned rooms. Each floor had different themes, with the second floor’s scary theme for older trick-or-treaters and the first floor’s festive theme for the general crowd.

Freshman Ayan Bhowmick believes that the Halloween Fest’s style of trick-or-treating is more engaging than traditional trick-or-treating because of the kids’ opportunity to play games and meet new people.

“There’s something  that everyone can participate in, like walking around in costumes,” Bhowmick said. “I also appreciate the Micro-community that is created by Halloween Fest, since kids are able to meet other kids from different schools and backgrounds.”

The participating children enjoyed activities such as shooting basketball hoops for prizes and playing Bozo buckets. Families attended a storytime session at the Media Center and danced to the Cha-Cha slide with the dance team.

Math teacher and Student Council sponsor Ken Goettsche attributes the festival’s popularity to the enthusiasm of the community and dedication of the involved students.

“What makes Halloween Fest so successful is that people in the community always know that this is coming up, and we spread the word,” Goettsche said.

Different departments and student activities have taken turns hosting over the years. Student Council is in its third year of directing the Halloween Fest, which was previously managed by the family and consumer sciences department.

Junior and Student Council president Colleen Sweeney believes that the Halloween Fest is a heartwarming event for both the visitors and the volunteers.

“Every year is a lot of fun for everyone involved because most of the kids, parents, and students get to dress up,” Sweeney said. “The kids are adorable, plus it’s an overall fun and energetic environment.”